Owning a mobile home can be fun, getting away at weekends with the family as well as spending long periods in the summertime, but how safe is your mobile home? Your mobile home is like an extension of your main home, and as such, needs an annual gas safety check carried out to make sure you and your family will be safe. Gas Safety Regulations put strict requirements on Landlords to ensure that the boiler and gas systems in rental properties are safe and well maintained on an annual basis. However, there is not the same level of requirement on Landlords to ensure that the electrics in a property are adequate and PAT testing is not a compulsory requirement unlike Gas Safety Inspections. The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides that an electrical installation in a property is “Safe when a tenancy begins” and “Maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy”.
In the 21st century, majority of the homes rely on the usage of gas for fire to cook, heat water and even spaces for making the indoor living conditions comfortable. The gas providing companies have always made our lives easier. However, we shouldn’t forget that everything has its own pros and cons. Just as we are living an easy life with the usage of gas, it also becomes responsibility to learn how to stay safe around gas.
We have often heard over the news about reports on gas explosions. Remember that gas is deadly just as a room filled with smoke. It leads to deadly explosions, resulting in the loss of lives and damage to the properties. Not taking the proper gas safety checks in Billingham can lead to such unfortunate accidents. Below mentioned are some important checks which can be done to minimise and avoid risks.
• Plan regular gas safety checkups: The gas safety checks performed by the authorised employees would give you the assurance that the gas appliances such as cylinder, stove and pipes are functioning properly. You should get these things checked once every year. Just make sure that the person executing the inspection is from a legal and authorised safety department.
• Carbon Monoxide detectors: Using the Carbon Monoxide detectors are considered to be an excellent way for detecting gas leakage in the kitchen. In event of gas leaking, these advanced detectors would sense the rise of poisonous gas in the air, thus sounding the alarm. Therefore, it is advised to install an audible CO alarm in rooms that have gas-based appliances installed. Although this device comes with a hefty price tag, it is a good investment to last for about 4 to 5 years.
• Secured gas cylinders: Ensure that the gas cylinders that you receive are sealed securely and there isn’t any leakage. Remember to break the seal only when you are about to connect it to the stove. Also, if are about to move the cylinder from one place to another, make sure that the cylinder is in an upright position. When you receive the gas cylinder from the gas supplier, thoroughly check whether it is damaged or not.
• Acquire authorised personnel only: Remember that the installation and servicing of the gas appliances should be done only by certified personnel. Always keep the gas-based appliances switched off when not in use. Also, appliances that need constant ventilation must be provided with the same in ample amount. The best way for detecting leaks is to spray some soapy water near the connection of the hose. In presence of leakage, you would be able to notice appearance of bubbles. Remember to replace the pipes if you spot signs of wear and tear in them.
B&Q which is a multinational DIY & home change retailing organization in the UK) reported that 6 out of every 10 houses in the UK are in the risk of carbon monoxide harming. Thus having a carbon monoxide alarm installed is one of the easiest and least expensive gas safety checks in Billingham for guaranteeing protection from carbon monoxide harming in the home. Carbon monoxide has no indications and the manifestations are like that of an icy chill or influenza so it is genuinely difficult to distinguish.
Side effects of CO are dazedness, retching, cerebral pains, sickness, tiredness, disarray and trouble in relaxing. Know about these signs and guarantee you have a carbon monoxide caution so you know whether you have any carbon monoxide spills in your home. Try not to permit any of these perilous gasses to put you and your family’s wellbeing at danger and take a few precautionary measures to maintain a strategic distance from gas, the noiseless executioners and also the huge bill.